I've wanted to make Granny Squares for ages. In fact, its the reason I learnt to crochet. I dream of making a lovely blanket. But for so long now I just haven't been able to crack them. I can't get my head around them - I'm really bad at following patters, and am trying to rectify this. I have these two great books - one I got a while ago 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton and the other is an amazing Japanese motif design book I picked up in Paris at the Japanese book shop.
Maybe its insane trying to learn granny squares from a book that is not even in English - but the designs are so pretty I just had to try.
I found these inspirational posts here and here on Attic24's blog (which could be a new fav blog for me) and I was convinced. I had to give it a go! On Friday I was home along and it was pouring with rain, so what better time to struggle through and crack the granny squares. I started with a few misses rather than hits - they looks ugly, very ugly. I had bookmarked The Purl Bee's granny square project ages ago and she also helped me through the tough times.
I got so excited that I just kept going and going. They really don't take too long to churn through each square side. I was using up my oddments from ebay, unfortunately I had to stop as my little scraps of yarn are not long enough now to go round a whole square.
Watch this space - there will be more granny squares.








3 comments:
Oh wow!!!! you did GREAT!!
I am planning in my mind a new project and I'm going back to Granny squaring I think, I do love a good Grannying session!
I'm so glad you cracked it, there'll be no stopping you now....have fun!
lx
so pretty...and that japanese book looks to die for. wow, can't wait to see what else you make.
I think it's smart to try and learn from the Japanese book. There's no words to mess you up. Just focus on the diagrams ... they won't steer you wrong. :)
Post a Comment