Food. Recipes. Crochet. Knitting. Crafts. Han-made things.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Spicy Adzuki Bean Burgers

I made these the other night as I found some tins of adzuki beans in the cupboard, you can use soaked fresh beans obviously, but to make it easy if you're cooking after work then tins will work fine.



2 x tins of adzuki beans (mashed, or coarsely blended in a food processor)
1 small potato, grated
2 small carrots, grated
2 stalks of celery, very finally chopped
1 red onion, finally chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed,
a handful of grated cheese (I used cheddar)
2 or 3 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1 cup of fresh bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
1/2 teaspoon of coriander powder
pinch of salt
slug of mirin

I made the bread crumbs out of some bread that had been sitting around for a few days, cutting off the crusts and putting them in the food processor. I wouldn't ever use store bought bread crumbs as I don't think they taste very nice. The reason I use bread crumbs is to bind them together, if you don't want to make your own just add an egg and a bit of flour to act as a binding agent. You could also use, No Egg, which is basically a potato starch.

Mix all the ingredients together, (I kept a small amount of bread crumbs aside to roll the burgers in before cooking).

Form the patties into handful sized balls, then roll them in the leftover bread crumbs, or flour. Cook them over a medium heat in a splash of olive oil (or whatever oil you like). When they have been cooking for a few minutes, press the balls down with a spatula so they form a burger shape, make sure that they are sealed well before doing this otherwise they could fall apart.

Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until the look crispy and delicious.

I served them with a Greek yogurt and dill sauce, and some spinach that had been flashed a pan with garlic and a squeeze of lemon (the best way to eat spinach, I think).

enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they were surprisingly tasty.