Food. Recipes. Crochet. Knitting. Crafts. Han-made things.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Knitting Nite #4

Not a very successful Knitting Nite this week actually as not much knitting was done. We held it at my place as we were expecting a very special guest, Minna (who is departing London too soon) alas she's been pushing the boat out a bit far lately and has a thousand things going on with the move and the saying goodbyes and the packing as well as racking up too many air miles, and she came down with flu lurgy so she didn't make an appearance.

I think the other reason that we didn't knit much is because we ate too much and got sleepy.

I made Chicken Legs cooked in Cider with onions, a recipe I got from Delicious mag.

Here's the recipe - easy and yummy

4 chicken leg pieces (the whole leg and thigh, or I have used a whole chicken for this as well, which is also very good)
500mls dry cider
4 medium onions, sliced
fresh thyme
small pot of cream, or creme fresh
fresh peas, or little gem lettuce

Brown the chicken pieces (no need to do this if you are using a whole chicken) in a heavy based pot (I use one of these), then take off the heat and pour in the cider and stir in the sliced onions. The cider should pretty much cover the chicken. Pinch of salt & pepper, and a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Put it in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C and cook covered for 30 mins (adjust timings for whole chicken). Uncover the pot and cook for a further 10-20mins (until chicken is cooked through).

Remove from the oven, and take the chicken pieces out of the pot and rest - keeping warm. Bring the pot with the onions and cider to boil and reduce for 10mins, add in the cream and fresh peas (or little gem lettuce or both) and cook for a few minutes until veges are softened.

Serve the chicken pieces with mashed potato, pour over the cider-onion-pea sauce and some young greens (I used pointed cabbage on this occasion).

And enjoy.


D still doesn't like having her photo taken.

No comments: